You will need to demonstrate that your marriage has irretrievably broken down, by being able to prove of the following five facts:
- Your spouse has committed adultery
- Your spouse has demonstrated unreasonable behaviour
- Your partner has left/deserted you for a continuous period of 2 years
- You have been separated for at least 2 years and you both agree to the divorce
- You have been separated for at least 5 yearas - it doesn't matter if your partner doesn't agree to the divorce
- If you have been married for less than 2 years, you can only use unreasonable behaviour, adultery or desertion as your reason for getting divorced.
There is only one ground for divorce, which is that the marriage has "irretrievably broken down" for further information visit our Divorce page.