Landlords & Tenants

Landlords & Tenants

Phone Icon Request a Callback

Landlord and Tenant Disputes

In a landlord and tenant relationship, various disputes can arise, such as issues related to the property, pets, bills, anti-social behaviour, noise, damage and rental payments. Property-related disputes may arise from problems such as dampness, mould, boiler and drainage issues, and disagreements over responsibility for repairs.

Pet-related disputes can come about if the lease prohibits pets but the tenants decide to keep pets anyway. Rent rises or rental payment disputes often revolve around late or non-payment, and consequences for such situations are typically outlined in shorthold tenancy agreements.

Some issues can be resolved quickly by way of a formal letter drafted by a solicitor and others lead to court proceedings or instructing bailiffs. In most cases, stress is caused to both parties since emotions are high and the help of a solicitor can really ease the situation and bring peace of mind. 


How does a solicitor help in landlord and tenant disputes?

Landlords often need to take repossession of their property, either due to tenant arrears or a desire to terminate the tenancy.

The act of evicting someone from a property is viewed by the courts as a significant and serious measure. Unless the proper procedures are meticulously followed, the court is likely to reject any application for possession. This is where a landlord and tenant dispute solicitor comes in.

In cases where a tenant is in arrears, each passing month before the property is returned to the landlord incurs financial losses that many cannot afford. Recognising the urgency of the situation, we understand the need to act promptly to safeguard your interests. We can assure you that the requisite notices will be promptly issued to your tenant, swiftly followed by an application to the court for possession.

To terminate an assured shorthold tenancy agreement, several prerequisites must be addressed before the court can grant possession. Providing a 2-month notice is essential, but accuracy in specifying the dates on the notice is important as any discrepancies may lead to the failure of subsequent proceedings. Additionally, the proper handling of any tenant deposits is crucial, as failure can also result in unsuccessful proceedings. These are all things that a solicitor is able to accurately advise on in order to minimise costly and lengthy proceedings. 


How can GloverPriest help?

Our landlord and tenant solicitors have extensive experience in all kinds of disputes and aim to assist with a quick resolution often without the need for a formal court procedure if possible.


Contact our landlord and tenant solicitors

At GloverPriest, we provide friendly and transparent legal advice. If you would like further advice on landlord and tenant dispute matters, please don’t hesitate to speak to one of our expert litigation solicitors today. Complete our enquiry form.



How do you solve problems between landlord and tenant?
Resolving problems between landlord and tenant depends on what the dispute is. 
Disputes can be resolved by simply contacting the other party verbally or in writing. You could send a letter via a solicitor or go through an alternative dispute resolution such as mediation or arbitration to solve any problems amicably. Alternatively, if you are a landlord and you are struggling to evict a tenant, you may have to obtain a court order.
Should the tenant persist in retaining possession despite court orders, the final recourse is to enlist the services of a County Court Bailiff for the eviction process. It is best to get advice from a landlord and tenant solicitor to ensure you are following the right steps to resolve the matter. 

How do I raise a dispute with my landlord?
The best way to resolve a dispute with your landlord is by simply talking to them. Advise them of the issue and give them reasonable time to respond. If the matter isn’t resolved, the next stage would be to send a formal complaint to them outlining the problem and any additional information or evidence you may have to back up your complaint. If your landlord still doesn’t respond to the issues, it may be a good idea to gain legal advice to understand where to go next depending on your circumstances.

How do I raise a dispute with a tenant?
Resolving disputes with tenants can often be achieved through non-legal means, starting with open communication and addressing concerns directly. If initial discussions prove ineffective, a formal letter outlining the problem may be drafted. 
A mediation service can be a cost-effective and efficient way to resolve a matter. However, if all else fails, landlords have the option to take tenants to court, especially when disputes cannot be resolved through alternative methods. 
If the issue still isn’t resolved with the tenant, it may be a good idea to gain legal advice to understand where to go next depending on your circumstances.

What is considered harassment by a landlord UK?
Landlord harassment includes any action or inaction by a landlord that creates an unsafe living environment or compels a tenant to vacate the property. This can manifest in various forms, such as the termination of essential services like electricity, and leaving tenants without necessary amenities. Such actions, whether intentional or neglectful, contribute to an atmosphere of insecurity for tenants and can be considered forms of harassment, affecting the peaceful enjoyment of the rented premises.


Review Solictiors Logo
Recommended Service

The Team

Jonathan Peck

Head of Litigation

View Profile Right Arrow

Roxanne Speed


View Profile Right Arrow

Get in Touch

We use cookies to improve your experience and to help us understand how you use our site. By using this site, you accept our use of cookies. Learn more x