Phone Icon Request a Callback


What paperwork do I need to sell my house UK?

“What paperwork do I need to sell my house in the UK” is a question our Residential Conveyancing Solicitors are often asked, especially for those selling their first home.

It can be quite an overwhelming process with a lot of moving parts, but it can be much quicker if you have all your paperwork ready to go.
First, any solicitor will ask for proof of identity, which includes a passport, driver's license or birth certificate and proof of address (like a recent bill or bank statement). 

The documents a solicitor will need when selling your house include:

  • Proof of ownership - Property Title Deeds
  • Seller’s Property Information Form
  • Any certificates, guarantees or planning permission documents (if you’ve had work done on the property or have already started the planning process to do so)
  • Details of everything included in the purchase - Fitting and Contents Form 
  • Energy Performance Certificate
  • Leasehold or shared freehold information
  • Mortgage details

Do you need a solicitor to sell a house?

While it's not mandatory to use a Sale and Purchase Solicitor or Conveyancer when you sell your house in the UK, it's definitely recommended.

With a long list of necessary documents, dealing with the other side’s representation, liaising with lenders (especially if you need to finalise any settlements with them), plus handling contracts and deed changes, it’s a lot to manage as a ‘DIY Conveyancer’ and get right.

It’s also worth noting that some lenders only liaise with licensed conveyancers or solicitors, and a similar thing if you’re selling a leasehold property as many freeholders insist it goes through all the right legal channels. 

Looking to sell at a property auction?

Selling at a Property Auction can be a much more efficient (and often cost-effective) way to buy or sell a property. 

At a property auction, the contract is essentially ‘completed’ as soon as the bidding ends, meaning many of the lengthy and complex procedures that come with selling a property the conventional way are avoided.

At GloverPriest, we have specialist Auction Solicitors who can help prepare a property auction Legal Pack, review your legal title (to fix anything that might deter potential bidders) and handle the full completion. We can even draft a special condition that requires the purchaser to cover all your legal costs related to the sale, increasing your proceeds.

Looking for expert solicitors for selling a house?

Selling a property can be extremely stressful. At GloverPriest, we’re here to support you through the whole conveyancing process and to provide a reliable and efficient service. 

Our property lawyers have plenty of experience handling residential property transactions, so if you need help from one of our specialised property lawyers, we are here to support you. 

Contact us today by completing our online enquiry form.

Contact Us

At GloverPriest, we understand navigating the law can be a difficult task to take on alone. That’s why we created this comprehensive guide to help promote information for everyone to use.

If you’re looking to speak to a solicitor, please call us from the number below. Alternatively, you can fill out our online form and we’ll be right with you.

Phone Icon 0121 794 5814

Take a look at some of our more frequently asked questions.

We are confident you'll find the information useful, and if you would like to know more or your question is not covered please contact us using our contact form at the foot of the page, or alternatively call us.

We use cookies to improve your experience and to help us understand how you use our site. By using this site, you accept our use of cookies. Learn more x