A freeholder may be able to refused to extend your leasehold. This depends on how long you have occupied the property. If you have occupied the property for less than 2 years, the freeholder is not legally required to grant you a lease extension. However, if you have occupied the property for more than 2 years, and there are at least 21 years remaining on the lease from when you purchased it, it is your statutory right to extend the lease under the Leasehold Reform Housing and Urban Development Act 1993. Under the Act, you have the right as a leaseholder to extend your lease by up to 90 years on a flat, or 50 years on a house. If your freeholder refuses to agree to the lease extension or does not respond to your enquiries, you should contact a solicitor to start the formal process, which involves serving a Tenant’s Notice to the freeholder.


If you have occupied the property for less than 2 years, you can try to negotiate for an extension with the freeholder. This is called an informal lease extension, however, an issue with this is that the freeholder can choose to withdraw at any time. 

Contact Us

At GloverPriest, we understand navigating the law can be a difficult task to take on alone. That’s why we created this comprehensive guide to help promote information for everyone to use.

If you’re looking to speak to a solicitor, please call us from the number below. Alternatively, you can fill out our online form and we’ll be right with you.

Phone Icon 0121 794 5814

Take a look at some of our more frequently asked questions.

We are confident you'll find the information useful, and if you would like to know more or your question is not covered please contact us using our contact form at the foot of the page, or alternatively call us.

We use cookies to improve your experience and to help us understand how you use our site. By using this site, you accept our use of cookies. Learn more x