Most separations are amicable, and many separating couples decide between themselves the arrangements for the children.  The court adopts a non-intervention principle. This means that a court order is not necessary to ratify the agreed arrangements.

There are sadly those situations where a dispute arises. One of the most common is arrangements for the children to spend time with a parent. The children may spend little time with a parent, arrangements may be ad hoc, changed or cancelled at the last minute or non-existent.  So, what can be done?

Court is a last resort. Negotiation through a solicitor or mediator may resolve matters in a conciliatory, timely and cost-efficient way.  If no agreement is reached the court has the power to decide how the children spend time with a parent. An order is enforceable with sanctions for a breach.
The court can decide with whom the children reside. Shared care arrangements may be possible.

There are other issues which may arise in respect of the children. Does a father seek Parental Responsibility?  Are there specific issues to resolve such as a change of name for a child, where a child goes to school or is there an issue over medical treatment?  There are many other specific issues which the court can resolve. 

Are you concerned that a parent may not return a child? If there is a genuine cause for concern, then an order can be made to prevent this from happening. Orders can be made for the immediate return of a child.

Sometimes it is necessary to take urgent action through the court in respect of a child.  

If any of these issues resonate with you, GloverPriest solicitors can help you to resolve issues relating to your children.  GloverPriest solicitors has a presence across the Midlands with offices in Wellingborough, Tamworth, Lichfield, Great Barr, Kings Heath, Quinton and Stourbridge. 

Contact Us

At GloverPriest, we understand navigating the law can be a difficult task to take on alone. That’s why we created this comprehensive guide to help promote information for everyone to use.

If you’re looking to speak to a solicitor, please call us from the number below. Alternatively, you can fill out our online form and we’ll be right with you.

Phone Icon 0121 794 5814

We use cookies to improve your experience and to help us understand how you use our site. By using this site, you accept our use of cookies. Learn more x